Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Things I crave in Japan.

I just got this overwhelming craving for nachos. Like the good, messy, everything-on-it type of nachos that you can find pretty much in any mexican restaurant in the United States. Japan is not known for mexican restaurants. In fact, I've only heard of 2 in my 6 months of living here, and one of them is in Tokyo. There is a mexican restaurant right outside of base called Mike's that we're going to try to go tonight. We've tried 3 other times....2 times they were closed and 1 time they were closed until 8:00 because of a private party. I miss mexican food! I love it and it's not easily accessible here. We have a Taco Bell on base, but let's face it....that is not real mexican food and everyone knows it.

I also crave pizza, but luckily we do have decent pizza on base. I've had better in my day, yes, but it's enough to curb the cravings.

I also miss cheese and cheesecurds. Imagine that from a girl from Wisconsin! A&W on base has cheesecurds that aren't too shabby, if you eat them while they're piping hot. If you let them cool, they get chewy and rubbery. Ugh.

I miss the regular dressings from Subway. The ranch on base is horrible and the Subway out in town doesn't have ranch. Eh, I survive.

I miss my favorite kinds of makeup. Don't have it on base and haven't seen it out in town...although I will admit to buying all of my makeup on base, because the prices out in town are shockingly high compared to on base (almost double-price).

Then again, there are things that I crave out in town here as well, that I will never be able to eat once I return back to the states.

#1. Hands down, sushi and sashimi. It is so much better here and makes the stuff I used to love in the US taste like cheap crap.

#2. Gyoza. So much better. So much.

#3. Apple Juice! Japanese apple juice tastes like you're literally eating an apple. My tastebuds frown when I drink American apple juice now.

#4. Green tea ice cream. Yum. That is all.

#5. Ramen. I didn't know it existed outside of those Cup Noodles or ten cent packages. It does and it is quite possibly one of the best soups ever....if it's not the Cup Noodles or ten cent packages variety.

So, here's to hopefully getting nachos tonight. They'll have them, if they know what's good for them. Hahaha.

2 comments:

LovelyAsh84 said...

I will vouch for the sushi. Yummmmy! Can you buy your make-up online? I buy just about all my make-up online.

Green tea ice cream is to die for! Yummmy! I had it at least twice when visiting you.

Tara said...

I could buy my makeup online, but with the shipping costs to get it here, I'm fine with switching brands and living without my favorites. :] It's always fun trying to find new favorites anyways.

Post a Comment