Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How different things are...

I'm not talking about the difference between Japan and America, but believe me there are a lot. I actually was just thinking about how I envisioned my future when I was younger and how it is completely different from what I even imagined it would be at various stages of my life.

When I was in middle school, I thought I would be married and have kids by the time I was 22(close to home, I may add). I thought that sounded like a good age because it seemed so far off to a 12 year old kid. 10 years....that's like forever in a kid's timeline. I also thought I would have been done with college and had a career and a house. It all seemed so easily attainable. 

Then when I was in high school, I thought maybe I'd wait to have kids until I was 24. I didn't want to have kids right away at 22, especially since that would only leave me one year of drinking legally. Hey, when you're in high school that seems to be the thing a lot of kids look forward to. Not getting in trouble for drinking. Being able to buy the alcohol. I also thought I'd still go off to college and probably have my own place by the time I was 22. I was still living under my mommy's roof, so it seemed like it was so easy. 

When I graduated high school and moved out of my mom's house for the first time, reality came up and slapped me in the face. Bills were a part of life now. Also paying to feed myself...I never even thought that I'd have to do that! Trying to juggle school and work at the same time, while still having time to be with your friends. Not so easy.

Now that I actually am 24, I look back at the young me and what I thought would happen. I'm 24. I am married and actually have been since I was 22. So I got that part right at least. I'm not planning on kids anytime soon. Maybe when I'm 29-30ish. I don't have a college degree....yet. I'm working on it. I rent a house with my husband. And before renting this house, we rented an apartment. And before that we rented a house. 3 homes in 2 years. We probably won't be buying anytime soon either. We tend to move every 2-3 years. I'm a military wife. Something I vowed I never would be. I always selfishly said I would never wait around for someone all the time. Things definitely change when you fall in love. I'm currently living in Japan, in this 3rd house that we're renting. If you asked me even last year if I would think I would be here, I would have said no. I'm an English teacher. If you asked me 6 months ago if I would be doing that, I would've said no. I'm living alone for the next 10 months while my husband is deployed. If you would have asked me if I would be living alone 3 months ago, I would have said no. 

Things change so quickly. Plans for the future either never happen or get reassembled so that they may fall into place someday. 

So to recap. I'm 24. I'm married, but am living alone for the most part of a year. I move a lot. It's pretty hard to plan a future in the lifestyle we're living. I don't own my own house, not even close actually. I don't have a college degree, but I do hope to have one by the time I return to the US. I don't want kids anytime soon. I'm an English teacher, and I love my job. I'm living in Japan and I love it here too. 

My life is completely different from anything I ever could have imagined it would be. And I have to say, I kind of like it that way. :]

0 comments:

Post a Comment